Saturday, June 21, 2014

When I finally became a townie...

I am a Navy Brat.  Our family moved every 4-6 years throughout my childhood.  I never had 'roots' in one place for very long to see the particulars of how a town changed over time; both politically, personality, economically, and even geographically...

But now, I have been established for almost 20 years in my career and raising my family.  I have managed my personal life, and navigated my career while living amongst the families that I work with.  It has been interesting, sometimes stifling, to rise, fall, and get back up amid my students and their families.  At first, I was worried of perception, then embraced my 'nerdiness'.  This is me:  mom, teacher, scout leader, neighbor, volunteer, business owner.  I'm not always warm and fuzzy.  I'm enthusiastic but not hyper (well, maybe disorganized and over-caffeinated).   I'm authentic, but not fake.  I'm assertive, not bossy.  I reflect, reevaluate and adjust, even if it stresses me out.  I will stand up for what I believe.  Take it or leave it.

I have made mistakes in rearing my children, allowing the 'system' to makes determinations, while managing my own classroom and the personalities that go along with it.  I have stood my ground with other people's kids if they crossed the line with me.  I have tried to negotiate the strong personalities and stand up for those who are not as vocal.  Even when I don't mean to, I also take on the 'Devil's Advocate' side of the conversation, always proposing and preparing for the worst case scenario, must to the chagrin of those in charge.

So I suppose this now makes me an official 'Townie', being transplanted into this area and allowed to thrive.  I can't run away and reinvent myself every 4-6 years.  I have had to find my voice, my personality, and learn how to navigate everyone else's.  It may have taken me 40 years to do so, but I'm hopeful that I can empower, inspire, and lead by example, for both my own children as well as others.


No comments:

Post a Comment