Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Caddy Control

The year is now in (relatively) full swing, and I am proud to declare that I may have just established the best routine in my (gasp) 18 years of teaching:
  
the table caddy of supplies.

Now that I may have completely jinxed this new addition to my class, let me explain the need for this corralled chaos.

This year, I've taken on the challenge of the Interactive Notebook, or at least my version of one.  In doing to, I've also found the need for more 'cutting', 'pasting' and highlighting items into my students' work.  I assumed that the kids wouldn't have most of their supplies for the first days, so based on my activities, I supplied tape, scissors, glue, and markers.

I also found that setting the stage with community building activities, table groups, and constant flux in those groups was going to be a huge portion of my 90 minute Math classes this year.  (Sitting for 90 minutes straight was going to be waaaaaaay to long for my 8th graders!)  So I started the year with six groups of four in all my classes (of course, the last class requires two groups of five, since I had 26 students, and made me scramble for two more seats... but that's for another blog).

Each table was numbered and students were assigned groups based on these numbers.  Each table was identified by a stenciled number taped to a cylinder.   This cylinder is actually a LIFESAVER.  Not only is it acting as a group marker, but also is used as a trash bin for the table.   It's transparent, so it's easy to see when they need to be empty (or I prompt the table to do so).  I also can use it to clip the frequent table re-groupings for identification (that will be the subject of a future blog post).

These cylinders were marketed as a (wait for it) microwave spaghetti container, complete with lid and strainer (on sale for $0.88 each).  They're very solid plastic, a resin perhaps, and I hope they'll last quite a while for their current purpose.

The other lifesaver is the SHOWER CADDY.  I have used various plastic bins in the past for materials in class, but they always had 'issues'.   My markers were stored in Parmesan Cheese containers (perfect size for a standard Crayola set, complete with lid, and transparent plastic).  My colored pencils can fit in a green nut container, washed thoroughly and without the lid.  But in the past, these containers were always tossed around, sent rolling off the table, or not replaced on the shelf after usage.  It was hard to keep track of, even when I tried to play the 'matching game' with colored stickers.  I didn't train the kids well enough, and it became too frustrating to maintain.  So when I say on Pinterest the shower caddy, I was IN LOVE!  When I found the perfect plain Jane caddy at Ocean State Marketplace in June, I JUMPED!  And they sat on the shelf for 3 months while I waited for the new year to implement my new system.

During summer school, I tried out the supply system with another method I saw on Pinterest, the Silverware Caddy.  I had accumulated 3 of them and filled them with supplies for my two 2.5 hour classes each day.  This was only for 2 tables and allowed me to try some things out.  It was OK, but I was looking forward to my Shower Caddy system and starting an adjusted system for the new school year. (and I also lost all 6 of my pencil sharpeners during the summer program and have YET to gather inexpensive replacements)

In addition to the green colored pencil holders and the Parmesan Cheese marker containers, the caddies hold the groups Graphing Calculators that are available (rather than kids always getting UP to get them), protractors for the group, six-inch rulers, scissors (tip down), and glue sticks.  I also am in process of gathering a tape dispenser for each group.  It may be too big for the caddy, but will be marked with the group number as needed.  One of the JOBS that I also have created for each group is CADDY CONTROL.  This student is responsible for making sure that the caddy is in good shape before the table is dismissed.  So far, the kids have been receptive.  I usually go through the list 'colored pencils: tip up (to protect the sharpened ends), scissors: tip down, trash: emptied, markers: cap up (to ensure they're on)', but the kids have been helpful in cleaning up their communal space and that makes my life just a bit easier.  Maintaining it will be a challenge, but it will also force ME to get into a good routine.

So far, so good (let's hope I didn't jinx it!)






No comments:

Post a Comment